A new calendar year has begun, allowing us to turn a new leaf. A new year gives us a chance to redeem ourselves for the shortfalls of the previous year, giving us hope that the new year will allow us to be healthier, happier and more successful.
New Year’s resolutions can include eating better, losing weight, and feeling less tired or depressed, the common theme is that we often want to take charge of our health, feel better and take better care of ourselves. Great resolutions to strive for, we should always make our health a priority these are some tips to help keep our goals on track for 2014.
- Don’t feel you are alone, share your goals with a colleague, friend or family member that may also share in your goals. This will allow you to form a small community that will help support you emotionally to remind you of your goals as you start to sway from them as the year progresses.
- Eat your meals: Try your best not to skip meals, keep your blood sure levels even by eating protein rich foods every 2 hours. This allows you to have even energy levels throughout the day, enabling you to manage your day physically and emotionally better. If you are always on the run, turn to smoothies or nuts that are easy to make and carry when you are on the go.
- Eat your super foods, foods that are rich in nutrients and antioxidants will help replenish essential nutrients in your body and help offset the harsh effects of stress and boost your immune system. Think of including bright rich colours into your diet; anything from berries to spinach will help. To find a list of the first 50 best super foods please visit: http://skinnyms.com/50-super-foods-the-ultimate-shopping-list/
- Decrease processed foods and eat organic when you can. Organic foods are more accessible now but can be expensive. When having to make the choice due to costs, try and buy organic produce for foods that are known to have the most pesticides used on them. This list is called the “dirty dozen”, and include the following:
- Sweet bell peppers
- Grapes (imported)
- Make time for yourself!! Sometimes hard to do, with work, home, kids and family obligations. But this is the most important step to ensure your sanity and keep you healthier and happier. It can take only 10-15 minutes to help you recharge.
- Always be reminded of your goals. Whether you write it down and read it out loud every morning or have a visualization board that keeps your goals on the top of your mind. Visualizing what you want and believing what you want to attain will help you reach your goals.
Your health is the corner stone of your happiness, making it your priority will help to keep you mentally and physically able to achieve your goals. And remember you don’t have to do this on your own. Turn to someone you trust to help you achieve your goals and remember that your health care providers are there to guide you too! Seek advice, motivation, and enthusiasm from one of us!
Source: Inside Toronto: Tao of Wellness