Pregnancy massage is a great means of ensuring that your changing body adapts comfortably to your growing bundle of joy. As you progress through pregnancy there is an increase in blood flow, increase in function of all your organs (heart, lung, liver) and of course the obvious tired, achy muscles. Massage during pregnancy can help your body adjust to the changes of pregnancy. Helping you sleep better, allowing you to be more mobile and relax you mentally and physically.
A typical massage session takes at least 60 minutes and can go on up to 90 minutes. The mother will be supported with pillows as she lies on her side.
Benefits of Prenatal Massage:
- Reduces swelling in hands, feet and ankles
- Lessens sciatic pain
- Eases muscular discomforts in areas like the low back & neck, calf cramps; also helps with tension and tightening throughout the body
- Relaxes tense muscles, and can help increase flexibility.
- Helps with relaxation (which in turn can decrease insomnia)
- Increases blood and lymph flow which can increase the elimination of toxins through the circulatory and lymphatic systems (this can also help with fatigue)
- Increases oxygen in the blood, sometimes on up to 10-15% after a massage
- Strengthens the immune system
- Stimulates the release of endorphins (the body’s natural pain killers) into the brain and nervous system
- Helps relieve anxiety or depression
- Helps increase blood circulation, which in turn delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the mother and baby
- Can be used during the birth as well as after, making both experiences
- easier and more comfortable
- Eases the stress mothers often feel after the birth