By Jasmine Sufi
The common question I get after a patient has gone through a medicated IVF cycle is how they could speed up the metabolism and elimination of the estrogen medications they were on, or essentially an estrogen detox.
According to Chinese Medicine, as well as Western medicine, detoxing is completed by the liver. Because all hormones are processed by the liver, protecting and supporting the liver during an estrogen elimination is key.
If the liver is unable to efficiently do its job of metabolizing hormones and other toxins then they are processed to be stored in fat tissue.
The goal in detoxing the body is to help protect the body from the damaging effects of estrogen, but also to help release and remove estrogen from the body. These are some of the recommendations that I make to help clients metabolize and eliminate the excess medications they were on.
These are supplements and foods that can easily be incorporated into your existing diet.
Suggested supplements that will help ensure effective and safe estrogen elimination:
– Chrysin (5,7-dyhydroxy flavones) Extract, extracted from passion flower, used to remove estrogen and is considered the most potent plant estrogen metabolizing compound in nature.
– Milk thistle seed extract (Silymarin) improves liver function, protects the liver from damage and helps rebuild liver tissue.
– Calcium D-glcarate found in apples, oranges, broccoli, spinach and Brussel sprouts. The liver supports d-glucarate to inhibit the breakdown of estrogen so that it is not recirculated in the body. 500 mgs is equivalent to 82 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Suggested foods to incorporate into the diet:
– Insoluble fibre found in oatmeal, oat bran, dried peas, beans, lentils, apples, pears, strawberries and blueberries bind and remove estrogen through the bowels.
– Citrus fruits: D-Limomene found in oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, lemons, limes and tangelos.
– Dim (Diindolylmethane) found in cruciferous vegetables. Helps is protective against high levels of estrogen exposure and protect you against cancers, such as breast and reproductive, that are linked to high levels of estrogen.
– Chinese herbal medicine and its use to help eliminate toxins from the body.
Chinese herbs are almost never used alone.
Chinese medicine combines herbs into formulas to heighten their effects and reduce their side effects. These are some of the ingredients that can play a large role in helping you get back to hormone balance: Qing pi (green tangerine), Bai shao (white peony), lian qiao (forsythia), ju hua (chrysanthemum), pu gong yin (dandelion), lu hua (aloe), Da huang (rhubarb).
The goal is to increase circulation, support the liver system and increase elimination through urine and bowels.
Any and all medications change your body and increases the toll it takes on the liver.
Estrogen in particular is found not only in medications but also in our environment.
Keeping a balanced diet that includes a large amount of fibre and cruciferous vegetables will ensure our bodies are functioning well and protect our bodies against the damaging effects of these elements that we may be exposed to through our environment and use of medications.